Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sermon Notes for Sunday, March 15th, 2009

Tim Lancaster preached the following message in the pastor's absence:

Receiving His Word

Proverbs 2:1-6 (King James Version): My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee. 2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; 3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; 4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; 5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. 6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

As we move towards Easter, let’s take a moment to consider a few things, we think about Christmas and Jesus's Birth and then in a few months we then fast forward around 33 years to his death on the cross.

In reflecting back let’s think about what the Gospel of John tells us, “and the word became flesh and walked amongst us”. In thinking about that let’s remember, when the Word of God came to Mary, Gabriel gave the Word of God to Mary, let’s listen in our hearts to her response, in Luke 1: 38...

"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her. Ponder these words in your heart, and think about Jesus being raised in Nazareth, then at the age of 12 going with his parents to Jerusalem, staying behind for 3 days and causing worry to his parents. Let’s think about His response to his parents when they found him,

Luke 2: 49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

Now let’s move on to Jesus’s work in Capernaum, remember his was a Pagan town that had Jews living there, and their influence spread into the town so much that a Centurion a man of wealth had built the Jews a Synagogue. Check out Luke 7, the Centurion had a special servant that was sick, he not being a Jew ask for God’s favor to heal is servant knowing that he wasn’t worthy of a Jew coming to his house just ask Jesus to heal him was enough, Jesus was touched by the man’s faith and said,: “I say unto you, I have not found so great of faith, no, not in Israel.

We all know the story of the lady with this issue of blood that lived in Ceasarea of Philippi, like in Pricetown and all town news travels fast. This woman from a Pagan town heard of a miracle worker, and she knew he was a Jew, remember the people talk. The story is all so familiar with us, songs have been written about it and many messages preached. Today let’s dig deeper in the thoughts of this lady. This woman realized she wasn’t a Jew, and being that Jews lived in the area, she had picked up on some of their teachings, remember we influence the crowd around us This lady was ashamed, a woman with her disorder was considered unclean, plus she wasn’t a Jew, we remember too what Jesus said, that he came to his own and they received him not. Even though the crowds were pressing, and many around him, she commented, if I could just touch the hem of his garment, I would be made whole. Remember she wasn’t a Jew, and she had guilt of being unclean to a Jew and Jesus was a Jew. He responded when she touched Him, “Who touched me?” She came before him and fell at his feet, he responded to her Daughter, your faith has healed the, go in Peace, and be free from your plague. He not only healed her, he washed her guilt away, remember she was Gentile, and considered unclean to Jews.

As we see him in his work in Capernaum, we are reminded of his work with the gentiles, we remember when he met the lady needed his mercy, and he mentioned. Matthew 15: 22And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. 1. 23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. 24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. 27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. 28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. Let’s move on to what Jesus said about Capernaum, in Matthew 11

23And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you."

We thank you Lord for your Holy Word, we ask you Lord to have mercy on us to receive your Word,

We Come to you our Father with Psalm 51 as David came to you.

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 1. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Lord, Have Mercy on Us to received your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment