Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sermon Notes: The Eagle and the Deer - October 19th, 2008



Last month, on the side of Kelly Springs road, off Highway 54, near Mount Olive, my wife and I spotted a deer carcass. Atop this carcass was a wild bald eagle, tearing off pieces of fresh flesh. We studied the eagle for a time, but when we came back with a camera, the eagle had flown away.



Over time I began reflecting on what I'd seen, and certain Bible passages came to mind that referenced both deers and eagles.



Eventually, I formulated the idea in my mind the idea that what we'd seen was a perfect picture of the Christian Church in America, which could either be viewed as a vibrant eagle, free to fly to lofty heights, or a deer carcass - the sad vestige of a once vibrant life.



It also dawned on me that, like that deer carcass, there are so many churches on the side of the road that many of them blend into the surrounding scenery, and become like that deer carcass, that was almost impossible to spot unless your eyes were drawn to it. Below is a photo I took of the carcass in question - see if you can spot the deer carcass.



An even bigger question then arose in my mind: what are we doing to make our church stand out from a landscape where churches have become a commonplace part of the scenery?



Hosea 8:1 [ Israel to Reap the Whirlwind ] "Put the trumpet to your lips! An eagle is over the house of the LORD because the people have broken my covenant and rebelled against my law.

2 Samuel 22:34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. (Also Psalm 18:33)


Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.


Isaiah 40:31 ...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment